Thursday, December 22, 2005

Silent treatment

Have been on the receiving on of the silent treatment from my mother. My mom is the champion of silent treatments - she doesn't yell, she just ignores you once she has given up on dishing out "advice". It is really quite difficult to reason (read: argue. Ha ha.) with someone who wouldn't talk to you. Still, this is a battle I do not wish to fight.

Perhaps I am getting less confrontational. Or not - maybe my stubborn refusal to fall in line while not arguing can be constructed as confrontational. I don't know. Nonetheless, this is an occasion where I have to disagree with my mother. I am not saying she's wrong and I'm right. For all I know, I might be wrong and will bear the burden of my sins anyway. What I do dislike is being treated like a child while being held accountable for my actions. I thought the whole point of adulthood is so the person can make their own decisions - whether it is a mistake or otherwise.

Is it a complaint of every child - my parents don't treat me like an adult? Even when they are? For me, I suppose, the point is that my mom wants me to make my own decisions - as long as they are what she thinks are the right ones.

Before everyone starts wondering what this mysterious fight is all about - upshot: my mother thinks I am not being religious enough because I do not pray early (and sometimes on time), or read the Quran anymore, or go to any classes. Sadly, she is under the misapprehension that I am not listening to her because I am married. Funnily enough, in a way, it is true. Being married had made me more able to voice out my opinions more - instead of just silently seething as I did before. Still, my opinions and reasons for what I do now are a cumulation of thoughts that have started way before my husband came into the picture. He's not to blame. I just got some spine that's all. As I have said though, it is rather difficult to put that across - especially when she doesn't want to listen.

Meanwhile, I am supposed to decide on my HT topic - and I haven't. Not quite in the mood for it now. :-(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home