Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Madness and silence

Why is it, just when I start to think humanity is not so bad, something happens to make me revert to my original position? And wish for the nearest bed of sand to bury my head in?

Yesterday, Nazir and I met with (yet another) Nazir's friend. Nice English lady. We went to the Muslim Council of Britain's press conference. Sigh. Nazir had such weird taste - honestly, who cares about British elections and muslim issues? (hee. Nazir obviously). Anyway, while I sat through a marginally interesting presentation, observing the photographers and camera crew while around me reporters were scribbling like mad, there were raised voices, yelling and general disorder outside the library (where the press conference was held). All the reporters and camera crew rushed out (scenting a story obviously, a little rude I thought since the guy was still talking - but hey, the media, innit). After a few minutes, a troop of young men (ages ranging from 18-late twenties, my guess) entered the room, started yelling about how voting is Kufr Akbr (major apostasy), yelling a major speech, proclaiming MCB mushriks and rounded up the fine speech with loads of "Allahuakbar".

Made the news, the whole incident did. Check out BBC's report.

For giving me a headache with all the yelling, I was irritated. But more surprisingly, I was actually incensed by their behaviour. One, storming a mosque, a mosque, for God's sake, like it was Bastille. Two, yelling like mad people just to get their point across. Three, flawed logic. Four, dressing very badly while at it. (Ugh, honey, jubah, sports jacket and trainers just doesn't go. And army fatigues in London? Urban jungle it may be, but if a war really did break out, I do think grey would blend in better than green. Anyway.) Five, when the sec-gen of MCB tried to respond to their various accusations (accompanied by 'look at how silent they are's), they absoulutely refused to listen. How rude. Six, speaking for Muslims like they have the absolute bloody right to speak for us. Who made them our mouthpiece? (I guess with elections being 'kufr', they had to elect themselves. Hiakz) I'm sorry, but if I'm going to choose a mouthpiece, I would like someone with logic, thank you very much. I was really quite angry - I actually felt like punching them. But since it wasn't my fight....anyway. Grrr....world going to pots.

In spite of wishing for the nearest bed of sand, this incident made me reflect on the necessity to speak out instead of well, ignoring it and living out my life as a hermit. While it is better for my peace of mind, I wonder if it is the right thing to do. As Nazir points out (he's really full of such gems!), "The emergence of the people of falsehood is only possible with the disappearance of the people of truth". Well, not his own, but Saidina Ali r.a. (the fourth rightly guided caliph).Nicely put at any rate.

On other disgusting things that bug me about the world, checked my email today. After a scant day (a day!!!) of absence on the net. And my mailbox is reaching "critical". Ugh. Not missives from dear friends, mind, but stupid junk mail for penis enlargement. Don't even have a penis, innit?! It's really quite irritating. If it was one or two bytes, oklah. But hundreds of kbs!!! Piss-off junk mail jerk-offs! (Hee...thought that was most appropriate since these pple's closest relation is prob with their computer. Double hee. )

3 Comments:

Blogger dew embun said...

Hah!Growing wise pretty well,ain't ya dear?Welcome to the world of divided Muslims in which the ends and means seldom justify each other.Interesting experience you had there.Would NEVER get it in S'pore,I tell you!
Great that it made you reflect.We all seem to do reflections less often these days.
Wish I was in your shoes...the drama,the passion,the moments...
That didn't sound right now,did it? *haha*
Anyway,get a filter for your mails ler..You also one dodo!
;p

7:39 PM  
Blogger az/fah said...

Wise? Ha ha. One can only hope. But, yeah, it was an experience, bad though it may be to say it. Was glad I was there to see it. Hee. Hmmm....filter? What's that? (Really, I don't know).

8:58 AM  
Blogger dew embun said...

check yr mail server lah...should provide filters for junk mail...indicate which is junk etc...ask a fellow (Nazir included) computer techy or something...or otherwise,do the tried and tested godeh-godeh! hahaha

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home