Monday, April 10, 2006

Songs running through my head

Remember the scene from the Mask where everyone does the conga? Well, that song is running through my head at the moment. The DJ in my head is mixing it right now with (a super camp song) "Ce....lebrate good times, c'mon. C'mon." Having successfully submitted my thesis (after a minor glitch of having to hoof it from AS5 to Old Admin building to draw money to pay for thesis binding - something the office failed to notify us, and just sprung it on everyone when we were there. Brrr.), am still feeling victorious.

Since I was determined to watch a movie, I had raked through the papers to find something that wasn't Ice Age 2 and Tristan and Isolde (having had prior bookings with my sisters). Stumbled upon a little (if at all) advertised movie by Luc Besson - District 13 (Banlieue 13). A little late in coming to Singapore theatre; itwas actually released in 2004.

The story: 2010. The French government has erected walls around ghettos, to (uneffectively) contain crime. District 13 is the worst. Leito, a disenchanted youth (disenchated with the government mainly) is roped in by the cops (unwillingly) to help defuse a bomb which has been stolen by "baddies". He is paired with a man of action, idealistic cop. There's a twist in the end that I won't reveal and which would not really be surprising for those familiar with the science fiction genre, especially of the Phillip K. Dick variety.

What I thought about it: Star Trek:Deep Space Nine meets Yamakasi. The story line is nothing new really; something that has been re-hashed in science fiction. What was good about it though was that it was set in France: as an projection of current events in France, this is a "worse-case scenario" that should not happen but could conceivably happen. What I like most about science fiction is the ability to critique the current trajectory of human history by placing it in the future. In B-13, it was very well done. It wasn't overdone and the issues did not take over the characters. The script has a feel of Kiss of the Dragon to it, not that that detracted any since I liked KOD immensely.

The stunts were reminiscent of Yamakasi, though, and felt a little old. Still, I like the way it was shot. Tightly paced. Good fun if you like the stuff Besson has produced so far. Which I do. So, SUPER!

This looks like an entry of reviews. I have also finished Brick Lane by Monica Ali. Was surprisingly entertained and pleased with it. Shortlised for some award or another: a usual death sentence for me. Despite the cliched beginning (Indian girl goes to England after an arranged marriage to older, ugly guy and subsequently has an affair with a younger guy), I thought it was well written. The subject (the effects of immigration on the immigrant community and their reactions etc) was treated with normality - which I have always felt was lacking in some other novels in the same vein. I especially liked the way it has been written as a series of events in the protagonist's life; Ali's writing meanders like life does, picking out the moments that shape us as who we are and uses these moments to potray a realistic picture. (sorry for that rather artsy way of putting it). The ending was happy without being cliched or "western". You know what I mean - the happy ending that involves running away with the lover (hurrah emancipation! Like that's emancipation.) and living happily ever after. Instead, we get a small victory for the protagonist on the path to happiness - being able to skate. I highly recommend it (despite some eye-glazing moment where Ali describes way too much. I just skim through that) especially if you are not mad keen on artsy books that pretend too much in the effort to say too much about certain issues. And especially if you want a book about Muslims without being "MUSLIM", if you know what I mean.

So, here's me, signing off. Watching Ice Age 2 tomorrow, hopefully. Unless me mum insists on going potty. Ha ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home