Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Argumentum ad populum

It is faintly distressing to read a dearth of original thought and the perpetuation of certain neo-patriarchal ideas, especially from our so-called (self-proclaimed? ha ha.) Malay elite.

The Standard Malay Guy Defense

"4) The tendencies, in SAF policies to feminise the colonised, viewing Malays as prone to religious hysteria or communal irrationalities. Responding to a call for dialogue by the Malay community on the position of Malays in the army, Lee Kuan Yew himself agreed in principle, but warned that discussions should not be too emotional; in his own words, no 'baby-talk'. "

http://alfian.diaryland.com/forum.html, emphasis mine

So, to feminise something is to attribute 'hysteria' and 'irrationalities' to that thing? Having had that thrown at me, countless times, by (usually) males when trying to discount my logical (hell, you can make a formal analysis of my logic in those instances) points, the inadvertant repetition by someone like Alfian Sa'at irritates. But hey, I'm just being an oversensitive, hysterical and irrational woman, eh?

What can you expect from the 'Nonok' guy? (Ha ha. Malay people will understand the joke.)


"Alamak makcik! Kassim tak mampu!
Sabariah cuma pandai dan jambu.
Kemas masak dia tak tahu.
Dah kahwin nanti guna pembantu.
Macam gini muflislah aku!"

"Alah Mak, itu semua tak perlu.
Rezeki kami Tuhan yang tentu.
Iman dan kasih disemai padu.
Dari Mak kami pohon doa dan restu."
"Apa, kamu hendak aku menanggung malu?
Kau hendak makan pasir dan batu?
Tak ada duit,hidup dengan cintamu?
Aku tak mahu! Aku tak setuju!"

Kassim Selamat melangkah lalu.
Simpanlah Sabariah dalam almari baju!
Tidak terubat luka hatiku
dek hinaan Mak Dara itu."

http://www.dewbaby.blogspot.com/

Is it so wrong to expect standards from your prospective husband? Here's the rub: 'Kassim' expects 'Sabariah' to be able to cook and clean and therein lies her worth. BUT she cannot hold him to a standard i.e. to have enough money.

I have always found it funny that the standard Chinese response to "I'm married" is "How much does he earn?" (in its various forms: Is he stable? Does he have a car? etc.)
But the standard Malay response is: Do you have any children yet?

But in light of multiple cases of irresponsiblity of Malay men viz. maintenence, and a wide-spread expectation that the primary duties of the wife is to cook, clean and bear children and to support a husband if he needs it, which unfortunately entails working to 'help' the husband with household expenditure (for cost of living is SO high in Singapore, protests the husband. *sob* *cough* *s.o.b.*) , the standard Malay response is just a sad reflection of the Malay society's priorities. Children, while important in the propogation of the human race and indeed of human society, I believe, are not more important than the individual. Or at least this individual. I have no problems with people who wish to place more importance to their children's lives than their own. I do have a problem when these people expect (m)others to do the same, and if these others do not conform, they are somehow evil (at the most extreme) or unnatural.

What I detest most is the incessant use of Islam to support their neo-patriarchal constructs. Do you want to know why Islam have been accused of being patriachal? Opresses women? Here's a clue: look at what YOU are doing. How Islam has been taught. Islamic fiqh books. And most of all, look at how Muslims have responded to allegations of mistreatment of women. For, on the most part, a defense is made. Not a reevaluation of current practices, supported by a certain interpretation of the Quran and Hadith.

And just because other women parrot this, does not make it okay. It does not make it acceptable or less opressive. (One might argue even more so.) Argumentum ad populum is a fallacy.

I have reached a stage in my life where I have to speak out. Goaded, no doubt, by some smugly expressed ideas, in both real-life and online. Don't worry all. This is the last avenue for such political pieces. Am just expressing my personal frustrations for the time being. I need to do more research and write something more credible than this personal diatribe before I can actually speak out for real. So, in the meantime, just a long, angry entry. :D

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me clarify what I had written about 'feminising' the colonised. Orientalist tracts will always tend to objectify the Oriental, and one of these strategies is by 'feminising' the Other--to soften the ground for what will eventually be patriarchal domination and all it purports to represent--progress, rationality, civilisation, etc. I do not agree that the feminine is automatically 'irrational' or 'hysterical'; I am using the term 'feminised' here as a conscious strategy by a utilitarian state to cast the Malay community as this inscrutable, chaotic object of study. To 'feminise' something, within the parameters of the discourse alluded to in the piece, is to enforce a binary where the 'feminine' is by necessity overdetermined as inferior--this does not in anyway reflect my own stand on the matter. Please do not miscountrue the piece as an uncritical acceptance of all the stereotypes associated with the 'feminine', especially since you have not read enough of my writings to find out my own convictions as a feminist. By the way, the word is spelt 'inadvertent'. Alfian.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my less than academic take:

What I find most disturbing about anonymous alfian's obviously well thought- out response is the following

1) the implied assumption that the writer did not read either his works or Edward Said's.Just because she misconstrued his meaning doesnt mean she didnt read it. Was there really a need to perceive someone's opinion as a personal attack? Which is,of course,a typical Malay guy response.His argument should speak for itself, had he been secure enough to let it. Excuse me for being personal here.

2) a writer of his calibre having to resort to cheap shots such as pointing out typo errors

Hence it can only lead me to conclude an articulate malay guy is still a malay guy despite the "Other" angst-ridden poser crap that he has been perpetuating.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I reject 'oversensitive' as the provenance of the feminine, I now claim to the possibility of being in such a state when I read the line:

"What can you expect from the 'Nonok' guy?"

I think this particular statement, despite your protestations, *does* border on the personal. Because you are lumping me along with the subject of your tirade, in a manner that is reductive and quite simply, erroneous. I am male, and I am Malay, but to be thus stereotyped as someone who is disrespectful or dismissive of women is an absolutist stance along the lines of saying 'all men are rapists'.

I doubt you would arrive at these conclusions if you had read one of my plays, 'Madu II', which was a revisionist take on P. Ramlee's own canonical 'Madu Tiga', exposing its sexist constructs. Or anything I'd written about the 'Talaq' issue, which conjured the bogeyman of the 'religiously-inflammatory' to disguise patriarchal power-play. Many other plays I have written, from 'Tapak 7' to 'The Miseducation of Minah Bukit' to 'Selamat Malam Ibu' deal specifically with the experiences of women.

So many of those I admire are women: Sisters in Islam, Lily Zubaidah Rahim, Salbiah Ahmad, Marina Mahathir, Alin Mosbit, Nirmala Purushotham, Sharon Siddique, Lucy Davis...some have been my teachers as well. Thus to be accused by you of being 'still a Malay guy' (used specifically in your case in a denigratory manner, which is basically to be equated with a male chauvinist) is bewildering.

I have taken the effort to defend myself here not simply because I think I have been wronged. I also hope that you are able to choose your targets more wisely in the future. This needless tarring of *all* males, and Malay males in particular, is a violent act of essentialism. I agree wholeheartedly when you say that you need 'to do more research and write something more credible than this personal diatribe before I can actually speak out for real'. Alfian.

5:18 AM  
Blogger az/fah said...

Err...sorry, Alfian. The above was NOT me. Please read my new entry for MY response.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home