Thursday, February 17, 2005

Desperate Housewives

I was watching "Desperate Housewives" last night and as usual, Brie's sorry excuse of a husband irritated the hell out of me. This week's offence: telling his son (his own son!) that he cannot stay with him post divorce - because he has issues he needs sorting, and with the son there he cannot. To me, that moment defines everything wrong with the guy - he puts his own issues above his son's needs. Anyway, I would say half the reason I tune in each week (strangely enough, it's the only TV show I watch these days. Me, TV princess. The Queen is my oldest sister - who in my absence have not been watching much TV either. Hee hee.) . Right, I lost track of what I was saying....Half the reason I tune in to Desperate Housewives is to see if Brie and asshole will divorce. Damn, I wish she would clean him out. :D

The thing that really makes me feel for Brie is the sense that people around her seems oblivious of the mask she wears. And sometimes, I wonder, do they not even care to look beyond that mask? I suppose everyone is to a certain extent self-absorbed and take other people at face value but if one really loves someone else, shouldn't they care to look beyond the surface? Jerk husband for example - he knew what she was like before she turned into Stepford Wife - didn't he ever wonder why she changed? Or is he just too self absorbed and selfish? Or even more depressing, didn't even love her to begin with?

As for masks, I guess hypocrisy is a necessity to the functioning of society. But at what point do you supress , you? Who the hell is "you" (or "I")? Interesting thought -"you" is the "I" presented to society? What happens when "you" becomes inseprable from "I"? Oh dear.

3 Comments:

Blogger minerva said...

Intg. And how true, dear friend.

But from another vantage pt, why take it as a given in the first place? ie. "hypocrisy as a necessity to the functioning of society," and smth we have to live with, be (constantly) exposed to, and further perpetuate it all by not tearing down those fading masks & attempting to start a more genuine world anew...

Of course, this world's reality is such tt so many pple (as i'm constantly reminded) wear (multiple) masks - and stage facades of all noble things our hearts truly seek, genuineness, honesty, truth...
So, perhaps a new beginning cld be set in motion, if we just try to, like U've rightly noted, look beyond the masks of the pple ard us and see them for who they are. And, on our own terms, we cld try n live without superficial pretensions and try to be ourselves - at the least with our dearest ones.

Uh oh, i thk i've taken up too much space, und taken the whole idea on a diff track. Maaf & take care.
Luv, me*

12:15 AM  
Blogger az/fah said...

hee hee...as always you are so positive. :D

Imagine how much fun it is for other people though, especially if we care for them, if we drop our masks totally.... there is something to be said for masks, at times. The best one can hope for is minimal use of hypocrisy- at least until human beings are perfect. Ha ha. As you can see, am not persuaded hypocrisy is not a necessity. (ooh, double negatives)

8:04 AM  
Blogger minerva said...

U are rgt, Az;) And one need not be definitive that hypocrisy/masks are a no-no, either.
I mean, as i was typing the prior comment, i was also figuring things out in my head i.e. what "mask(s)" mean to me ...
It quite depends on our stand, don't U thk? I thought one cld thk of at least 2 (minimal) instances: Mask=
1. From the indiv's pt of view (self-constructed) masks, say tt work somewhat like (the knight's) visor - a protective armour of sorts - from hurt, insensitivity etc. of the Wld.
2. The facades that others (nb: besides the observing individual) stage. U know, when we can see rgt thru someone's constructed images of 'gentility' (which alas, are false)...
i do use this defn in some of my musings - like how pple can switch masks in chameleonic mode, and be insensitive to all others in the grand mock drama they stage.
err, i hope that didnt get too outlandish, just a thought.

Having said that, guess it all also depends on every individual's perception of the world (& of whether pple do indeed wear 'masks' etc)...

Thanks for the comment on my blog too;) Btw, i like the current song, tho' a wee bit repetitive eh? Kinda prefer the first one U'd used ~ (if it was indeed him, then...*Kyo rocks, yeah;) )
Take care & Luv, me*

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home